market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomato Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Atkerson <jay AT mcreccwb.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomato Problem
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 02:33:51 -0500

I'm hoping to get some help from y'all; I've got heirloom Principe
Borghese tomatoes planted, and this year I've also got some sort of
fungus?, blight?, something-or-other that is taking them faster than
they can grow. And...since they're indeterminates, I'd hoped to summer
them over for a second crop in the fall. Doesn't look like that will be
happening either.

The symptoms are typical - the leaves wither and turn yellow-y brown,
starting at the bottom of the plant and working up. The fruits are
unharmed, but no new blossoms are appearing. Our weather is staying in
the low 90's, and they will set fruit in fairly warm weather, so "no
blooms" worries me too.

We are sustainable, and the tomato trellises are one fence away from the
chicken yard. Any suggestions on a sustainable solution that would stop,
or at least slow down the disease progression?

I feel certain your tomato problem is early blight a fungus condition
worsened by the lower tomato leaves spattered by rain drops carrying the
fungus from the soil. I have good success in mulching heavily with straw at
the time the plants are transplanted and secondly pruning the lower leaves
during the plants' first month to prevent soil spattering on them. Moistened
newspaper snuggled around the plant stem tightly before mulching further
reduces the chances of early blight. Even thought I don't use it, I think a
copper solution sprayed early can be used if your sustainable practice
permits it. We typically get tomatoes from early July until frost (Late
October in southern Kentucky) Heavy mulching may slow the warming of the
soil in April when the p;ants are transplanted.

Jay Palisade Garden