market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "herbthyme AT simcon.net" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato problem
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:12:44 -0400

I have had the same problem with my Pricipe this year too.  I will get none off of the plants as they are all dead now and where the first one's to go.  I bleach my stakes and cages every year...that has to help with that stuff...and this year i have all new stakes. And still have disease out there???

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh

I'm hoping to get some help from y'all; I've got heirloom Principe
Borghese tomatoes planted, and this year I've also got some sort of
fungus?, blight?, something-or-other that is taking them faster than
they can grow. And...since they're indeterminates, I'd hoped to summer
them over for a second crop in the fall. Doesn't look like that will be
happening either.

The symptoms are typical - the leaves wither and turn yellow-y brown,
starting at the bottom of the plant and working up. The fruits are
unharmed, but no new blossoms are appearing. Our weather is staying in
the low 90's, and they will set fruit in fairly warm weather, so "no
blooms" worries me too.

We are sustainable, and the tomato trellises are one fence away from the
chicken yard. Any suggestions on a sustainable solution that would stop,
or at least slow down the disease progression?

Thanks,
Juanita Garcia
Leander TX (Zone 8)