market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Barb Miller" <barbmill2 AT verizon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato problem
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 06:01:36 -0400

I've had blight problems here too.  Last year I got lazy and didn't cage my tomato plants and had tomatoes up until frost - no blight (for once).  This year I decided to experiment so I'm not using anything previously used for growing tomatoes..bought t-posts and baling sisal and am using the Florida weave system to restrain the plants.  If these plants survive up until frost I'll be convinced that the blight is carried on stakes or cages used previously for growing tomatoes.  I always use black plastic and rotate my plants through a series of raised beds.

Barb Miller
Tioga County, PA
*******************
The symptoms are typical - the leaves wither and turn yellow-y brown,
starting at the bottom of the plant and working up. The fruits are
unharmed, but no new blossoms are appearing. Our weather is staying in
the low 90's, and they will set fruit in fairly warm weather, so "no
blooms" worries me too.

We are sustainable, and the tomato trellises are one fence away from the
chicken yard. Any suggestions on a sustainable solution that would stop,
or at least slow down the disease progression?

Thanks,
Juanita Garcia
Leander TX (Zone 8)