market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato problem
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:20:16 -0500

> The symptoms are typical - the leaves wither and turn yellow-y brown,
> starting at the bottom of the plant and working up. The fruits are
> unharmed, but no new blossoms are appearing. Our weather is staying in
> the low 90's, and they will set fruit in fairly warm weather, so "no
> blooms" worries me too.

Bad news.

Sound like Early Blight. Lower leaves develop expanding rings which
eventually kill the leaves and it works it's way up from bottom to top.
VERY common in our area; it eventually gets about all of my tomatoes
every year. I have not found Bravo or copper to be effective. It
seems to appear even in virgin ground plantings. That's a major
reason why early determinate varieties are so popular in this area; the
early varieties can produce a crop before the Early Blight gets them.

If we could deal with the Early Blight and spider mites, tomatoes would
be a LOT cheaper.