market-farming - [Market-farming] brooding turkeys

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: MF <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] brooding turkeys
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 14:47:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hey everyone,

We now have a couple of broods of chicks (about 80)
going for pastured poultry and eggs. We also picked
up 5 turkeys to experiment with. I know raising them
is different than chickens. We've lost 2 so far...one
to a raccoon, understand how to stop that, and one
from, I'm guessing, not enough protein...we've got
them on standard chick starter.

I did a bit of research. One poultry "expert"
recommended topping their feed with crushed boiled
eggs to "start them off. Joe keeps wanting to do this
and that's fine for our 3 chicks, BUT this solution is
not feasible on a commercial basis not to mention I
just don't like feeding eggs to them--too canibalistic
for my sensibilities. So what's a good alternative??
He doesn't seem to understand the solutions we need
must be easy and quick--we ain't hobby farming.

And also, these turkeys are only a week old and
already one is strutting its stuff...so so cute!!!
and of course he WON'T be on the thanksgiving table...

Liz Pike
Hillsville VA