market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkins-need info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pumpkins-need info
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:52:51 -0500

Your growing conditions are probably close to mine here in West Texas.

When to plant? Pumpkins take 100-120 days from the time you plant them until harvest. Their size determines the time. Small ones mature quicker. The extremely small ones are probably less than 100 days. You will probably have to research that particular type. If I were guessing, I'd say they would be like squash at somewhere around 60 days.

How to plant? I just put the seeds in the planter. They need to be at least an inch deep. You could probably go up to 2 1/2 inches without any problems.

Spacing? Plant them 36-60 inches apart. 36 inches is probably a good number. If you have your rows set at 36 inch centers, then skip a row in between planting. In other words, the rows you plant should be between 72-96 inches apart. I just go with 72 inches. Don't forget to skip a couple more rows in the middle for your trailer to go down.

What kind will do well in your climate?
Mini: Jack-Be-Little, Muchkin, Pro Gold 100
Small: Small Sugar, Triple Treat, Streaker, Pro Gold 300, Oz, Spookie
Large: Appalachin, Connecticut Field, Ghost Rider, Howden, Happy Jack, Magic, Pro Gold 500, Pro Gold 510, Trickster, Wizard
Mammoth: Alantic, Giant, Big Mac, Big Max, Howden Biggie, Prizewinner

What will your yield be per plant? I really don't know. I'd guess 2 or 3 for the big ones, 4 or 5 for the mediums, and 7 or 8 for the very small ones. They're basically squash, but in this case you're only picking them once.

You can use any kind of drip tape you want. I use 1/2 GL./Hr. at 18 inch spacing for my black berries. I usually water every three or four days @ 3 GL. per emitter when the temp. is really high and they are making new growth and putting on berries. In your case, I'd just keep the soil moist, not wet. You'll have to play with it to get into a routine. You'll need much more water when the plants really get going and producing fruit than when they first start out. If it were me, I'd try to get drip tape with emitters that are close to my plant spacing. However, it's better to get the emitters too close than too far apart. You'll probably end up with 24 inch spacing, just because it's so common. The number of gallons per hour really doesn't matter. You just adjust the time you leave it on to get the soil moisture you want.

Don't forget to check your soil pH. It should be somewhere around 6.5. It's not too critical, just in the ball park. I don't know what you plan to use for fertilizer. Probably something like 13-13-13 will do fine. Maybe some of the others can speak to the best fertilizer.

Hope this helps.

TxBeeFarmer
West Texas Zone 7b