market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse ammonia toxicity?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Atkerson <jay AT mcreccwb.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse ammonia toxicity?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:50:09 -0600

Re: Greenhouse ammonia toxicity?

It has been my experience that using potting soil rather than sterile a
starting soil mix such as Pro Mix is probably the culprit. Potting soil may
contain pathogens, when in the less than ideal planting condition--cool
temperatures or excessive watering can be the source of your problem.

Each time I have used potting soil for seed starting I regretted it.

Jay

I planted all of the failed stuff over again today using some new all
organic compost based potting soil I bought at a local garden center. More
expensive than what I was using but not as expensive as screwing up! I'm
optimistic that this is going to work better. I was using Sunshine Mix #1,
a standard general purpose potting soil I had stored over winter in the bag
but well covered and dry.