market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse ammonia toxicity?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse ammonia toxicity?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:29:20 -0500

-----Original Message-----
How deep did you cover your seed?

Just enough to cover it.

 Try again with fresh mix and cover your seed with never more than a 1mm deep layer of extra fine vermiculite.

I planted all of the failed stuff over again today using some new all organic compost based potting soil I bought at a local garden center.  More expensive than what I was using but not as expensive as screwing up! I’m optimistic that this is going to work better.  I was using Sunshine Mix #1, a standard general purpose potting soil I had stored over winter in the bag but well covered and dry.  Should have been OK, but I suspect that something is amiss in the mix. I’ve used Pro Mix in the past and it is my preferred choice between the two though I always have thought that they are not all that different.

 Do you have any old plug trays? if you do set them inverted over the seedling trays this will keep the mice out and provide a good mix of humidity and light. Then toss a sheet of poly over the top to keep the heat in...

I germinate my seed inside the house on a 4 tiered grow rack I built myself and equipped with florescent lights and thermostat controlled heat mats.

 BTW next time you raise pullets in a greenhouse add some dry litter to absorb the ammonia, dry oak and maple leaves work the best...

I raised the pullets on a six inch deep base of wood chips and sawdust which I thought would absorb most of the ammonia.  I turned it once myself and as the chicks got bigger they started doing it themselves, to the point of nearly burying themselves.

Marlin