market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse ammonia toxicity?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse ammonia toxicity?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:05:48 -0500

I put lettuce seedlings out in the unheated hoophouse last week. Two days above freezing with nights in the twenties, then dipped to zero degree nights. They are under row cover so probably didn’t get lower than 15 degrees. The lettuce had not been properly hardened off – I put them out in the garage the night before transplanting to give them another 12 hours to get used to colder temps since I knew the cold spell was coming, but the day I transplanted them was sunny and so hot inside the hoophouse that I opened the vents. They look great. In fact they look better than they did inside under grow lights, so I don’t think the cold was a problem for the lettuce, and shouldn’t be for onions.

Memory is fuzzy, but last year I brought composted cow manure into the hoophouse for the floor. pH came back at 7.2, which I put to excess ammonia. I vaguely remember ammonia smell, which is why I connected it to the pH. I don’t remember the timing though – how long before I planted salad mix. Anyway, no problems.

Also, you said you had problems last year and the onions weren’t looking great before you moved them out. I wouldn’t totally discount the ammonia, but those observations counter the ammonia as the cause.

Sorry, I don’t have other suggestions of the cause.

Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com