market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] flower buckets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] flower buckets
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:08:38 -0600

All of the suggestions below are good. plus:

Dilpak...google them for the website, has black plastic standard cut flower buckets wholesale and also the french market metal cans--no need to coat the inside of these--if your budget allows.

Johnny's Selected Seeds also has the metal market cans in smaller quantities.

I found a local salvage yard that had dozens of three gallon buckets cheap.

But without a doubt, white plastic buckets work well, look good, and keep the water cooler than black buckets.  (I got many from Dunkin Donuts shops although they did not wash out the frostings and glazes.  Nursing homes are another good source)  I like the handles too.

Our regional--Northern Illinois--"everything" supply store, Farm and Fleet carries a wide supply of galvanized steel buckets in various sizes at good prices.  I used galvanized tubs with a 4x4 inch piece of steel fencing laid over the top for supporting individual bouquets or for filling with ice and displaying produce on top..

Any servicable bucket can be disguised inside a bushel basket or wooden crate to fuss up a market display.

Shawnee zone 5ish some of the time