market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sugar beets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jen Prosser" <jen AT sunstoneherbs.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sugar beets
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:55:53 -0500

I grow mangels (the varieties listed in Shumways catalog) for my goats. The
greens are like beet greens but they don't necessarily produce any more
greens than a regular beet that is grown primarily for (or selected for)
greens.

The goats LOVE them, but I prefer regular red beets for myself. I find that
both the beets and mangels keep exceptionally well in sand. I also leave
some mangels in the ground and dig them when we get our crazy winter thaws.

Because the flavor of red beets (e.g. Detroit dark red or lutz) is much
better than mangels, I wouldn't grow them unless I had livestock. There's
just no reason to since regular beets grow just as well, though not as
large.

Jen Prosser
Sunstone Herb Farm
55 Sunstone Rd.
Olivebridge, NY 12461
(845) 657-6059

both the roots and greens are good to eat. I think mangels
must make *a whole lot* of greens. I'm going to try them
this year, if I can find (a) seed and (b) room for them.