market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sugar beets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sugar beets
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:07:40 -0500

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:39:56 -0600, you wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:54:45AM -0600, Willie McKemie wrote:
>> I have a few sugar beets coming. Is there any market for them as human
>
>I just tried my first sugar beet greens this evening. They were
>surprisingly good. Very spinach-like. I have only immature plants,
>greens 3"-6" long, no root to speak of. I haven't eaten any "regular"
>beet greens, so I can't compare them.

'Regular' beet greens are also very spinach-like, but even
better than spinach, in my opinion. I think they are the
very best greens of all.

I haven't tasted sugar beet greens.

I've been reading some booklets from John Jeavon's outfit,
(http://www.growbiointensive.org/). They mention mangels
(huge beets, generally grown for livestock) and say that
both the roots and greens are good to eat. I think mangels
must make *a whole lot* of greens. I'm going to try them
this year, if I can find (a) seed and (b) room for them.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania