market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sugarbeets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Bucciaglia <pbucciaglia AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sugarbeets
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:26:08 -0800 (PST)

The variety 'Lutz' is a cool beet, it gets pretty huge and store really well, it has a different foliage that looks like a sugarbeet and I remember reading somewhere that is more related to them than the garden variety.  I haven't grown them in a few years because the whole baby veg thing has people thinking that big=low quality, which is too bad.  They are really good beets.  I remember I sold 6 or 7 cases to a lady who makes pickled  beets or something like that for sale.  She was unhappy when I broght them to her thinking they were low quality.  She later told me they were the best beets she'd ever had.  Fedco sells Lutz Winterkeeper.  I grew them sown in early/mid summer for late summer/fall harvest.

Paul
Fort Hill Farm

Paul Bucciaglia
Fort Hill Farm