market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pepper seed germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sean Albiston <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pepper seed germination
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:53:13 -0600

I agree that high germination standards and freshness are important, but doesn't the environment of the seeds origin play an important role? Isn't part of the seeds genetic expression factored by some parental environmental information? I've always considered seed saved and produced on the farm to be more vigorous.

sean albiston
Dead right!

Bill

A good seed company will only sell fresh seed. I have had seed companies hold off until the last minute in the spring to ship my seed while waiting for the seed to be harvested in the southern hemisphere. Now that is as fresh as possible. I think too many seed companies buy up old seed and repackage it as long as it meets the minimum standards. Call the company or ask your salesman when the seed was harvested and don't buy any seed less than 90% germ. For every dollar I spend on
seed I get back 10 fold, I don't mind spending extra for the best seed. Seed is the smallest investment that always yields the greatest return.. Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.