market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Corn Gluten

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Corn Gluten
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:03:30 EST

In a message dated 12/30/05 11:05:05 AM Central Standard Time, txbeefarmer AT hotpop.com writes:
So, where do you live Phil?  What's the name of the source?

We are in Western Iowa and we buy distillers from a broker, or known better as a major feed supplier in our country.  Feeding gluten is a lot cheaper than buying ground hay for our feed rations.  This is corn country so I really don't know where or which plant it is coming our of, we have many processing plants within 100 miles of here, in Iowa and eastern Nebraska.  I have never used it for any other purpose but feed stuff.  Cargill has a large processing plant about 25 miles away but usually it has been coming from a plant at Denison Iowa, it is a lot drier.  Fresh distiller's has to be fed up pretty fast, like a week of it will start to mold.  I Like the drier guten, will keep quite a while if it is protected from the weather.

Phil