market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Corn Gluten

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Corn Gluten
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:46:21 -0500

On Dec 29, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Elaine Granata wrote:

Maureen and all: I've been worried about this. How do the GMOs "move" in
the soil and to the plants from the corn gluten (I know its through the
roots)? I may not be asking the question correctly, but I want to know if
the GMO in the gluten enters the plant--say broccoli, or tomatoes that have
been side dressed with gluten? Does anyone know?

Elaine
Denver, Zone 4-5

Elain
My understanding of the genetic transfer of gmo genetics would be though
cross ponination of a similar crop or variety I dont see any getnetic
mechanism for transfer through the roots any more than your gonna get cow
genetices from fertlising your squash with cow manure. But then I am not a
genetisist.

Mark Abner
BriarPatch Farms
Ritner KY zone6b

I don't think corn gluten could transfer the corn DNA as such to other corn or other crops; but the BT toxin produced by GMO corn has I believe been shown to be persistent in the soil in which such crops were grown. (I don't think naturally produced BT toxin is persistent in the soil). I haven't heard of anyone having done the work to find out whether the toxin persists in corn gluten meal, for how long it persists there, whether it would be taken up in crops to which the gluten has been applied; or what the effect is on soil micro-organisms, human health, or anything else of all this.

So I suspect that the answer to Elaine's question is, nobody knows. (And yes, I think they should have found out before releasing this for general use.)

If current or possible future organic certification is a concern of yours, I would definitely consult with a certifier before using the stuff.