market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shiitake Mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "John Wages" <jwages AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shiitake Mushrooms
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:10:10 -0600

Two great resources: Fungi Perfecti, Paul Stamet's company in Olympia, WA
(www.fungiperfecti.com) and Mushroom People, a farm business that is part
of The Farm in Summertown, TN (www.mushroompeople.com). Stamet's books on
growing mushrooms are the definitive resource. Mushroom People is closer
to our climate and can be very helpful. Joe Buzhardt, at Alcorn State
Univ. here in MS, is an advocate of log cultivation of shiitake in the
South:
http://www.alcorn.edu/sfdc/Shiitake%20Mushrooms%20In%20Mississippi_files/Gro
wing%20On%20Logs.htm

We've grown shiitake from both sources on oak logs, but not on a commercial
scale. Fruiting in hot weather is an issue; our logs produce in spring and
fall. Mushroom People has strains that fruit better at higher
temperatures. Hope this is helpful.

John Wages
Calceterra Farm
Tupelo, MS