market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:11:53 -0600

Thanks. It's clear you understand soils more than I. Let me explain what I have done to the soil and what my intent is.

I am exploring ways to get the most out of precious little urban space. My neighbor has a lawn service and provides all the chopped up leaves that I can use. I have an 18X4 foot bed with a yard of last years leaves mixed with ground alfalfa composting in a pile on that bed which I will till in very soon. About two months ago I fertilized the bed with Bioform fertilizer. I do not want to ruin my soil as I strive for best production. I have been told that when I till I will introduce air and the soil's nitrogen will be used as microbes eat the organic matter. I thought that I had to replace both every year. I would like any references that you would like to send.

I'm not sure about how the information about soil temperature above 60 translates into what I do in the beds or when in the year I do it. I am also wondering if my sources of nitrogen and organic matter are adequate.

Thanks again for your help.

Marty Kraft
Kansas City