market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing
  • Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 05:30:17 -0700

Agree that's pushing it, esp since garlic is a heavy feeder as you say. What
I was driving at is the matter of soil fertility and structure. The more
intensive we grow, the more critical the soil condition becomes. And we can
grow far more in less space if we respect the requirements for the healthiest
soil. Otherwise people can grow any way they please or wear out the soil with
NPK if they don't care or don't know better. Commercial growing has eroded or
worn out half our best topsoil over recent decades. No secret there.

To support the heaviest production and most nutritious produce, soil needs
sufficient nitrogen to decompose sufficient organic matter (and time above 60
degrees), and this needs to be a continuous process from stable
nitrogen-bearing organic sources that don't leach out and need re-dosing
every three months. During this process the soil needs the full range of
secondary nutrients and trace minerals for the humic acid being produced to
chelate those minerals into stable forms that microbes can use to feed plant
roots. This results in particle aggregation and the loose, moisture retentive
soil that plants love. Proper balance of these elements and time builds the
healthy soil for the kind of production that other growers won't believe. You
don't need to "get big or get out". You need healthy soil for healthy people.
Research on these things is available online if you want sources from me
offlist.

paul NM tradingpost AT gilanet.com See you at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OWL-OldWaysLiving/