market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Frost Alert

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Frost Alert
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:26:04 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/05 1:17:58 PM Central Daylight Time, marketfarmers AT thymeforewe.com writes:
Some people don't pick their winter squash until after a light frost kills
the vines.
Squash really doesn't have it best flavor until after frost.  Never lost any cabbage, broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, pumpkins, or any other Cole crop like this to frost.  Have found in most markets we sell in they are great for fall sales because most people don't plant a fall garden in July when it is really hot around here.  If I can keep it alive then it works great for fall and let someone else carry in those 20# melons to sell.

Phil