market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] selling a farm and keeping it farmland

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Bucciaglia <pbucciaglia AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] selling a farm and keeping it farmland
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:36:07 -0700 (PDT)

Tom,,

Beth makes an excellent point below.  You say the area his farm is in is being rapidly developed--selling the farm without getting an agricultural easement could be a costly move for you and could end up with the farm being developed in a few years or even months.  Check with your state dept. of ag or American Farmland Trust--they can help you get an easement on the farm so it will never be developed.  Its also possible that you can recover some of the development value of the land if your state has a funded "purchase of development rights" program and your farm qualifies.  Even if you get no funds, getting the easement ensures the land won't be developed, and since you are willing to sell to a farmer below its development cost anyways you will come out even on money but way ahead on securing the lands future.  Wish I lived in a place where land was affordable, I farm rented land and am not too optimitic about ever affording a farm in southern New England.

Best of luck Tom.

Paul  Bucciaglia
Fort Hill Farm
New Milford, CT