market-farming - [Market-farming] Yard-longs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Yard-longs
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:34:58 -0500

Those of you interested in growing the yard long beans ...check out the Red Noodle Beans that Kitazawa Seeds carries. They are as easy to grow as the green ones (I like Liana from Johnny's) and look great bundled together, half red and half green. Unlike a lot of other purple and red vegetables, the Red Noodles do not lose their color when cooked. They turn a deep purple, almost black. It is fun mixing the green and the red when cooking. I'm also testing some Purple long beans but they seem to grow much slower than the Red and Green ones. I sell them by the pound to my restaurant customers, in a zipper bag.

How are you supporting your CRM tunnels? I did this last year, using 1/2 PVC and toward the end of the season the weight of the vines almost cuase d the whole tunnel to collapse. I would recommend using 3/4" PCV or metal hoops.
This is my first foray into growing them; the early ones are a few
inches long. They seem to be doing very well in the heat (as are
"Winged" beans). Some spider mites. I am beginning to put concrete
mesh tunnels over them. How are they retailed? Packaged? Priced?
Seems like I have seen them bundled and tied.

Adriana