market-farming - [Market-farming] Delicata Squash question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Delicata Squash question
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:31:50 -0400

Thanks for the help with the eggplants! A new question:

I got my Delicata squash (Sugar Loaf) out early this year, and they
already have some beautiful full-sized fruit. I want them to fully ripen
so they will keep a while, but I also want the vines to keep producing.
Can I leave them on the vines till frost, like I do with all the other
winter squash, or should I be looking for some sign of ripeness and
picking them earlier?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA