market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Topping Tomato Plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons family <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Topping Tomato Plants
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:49:29 -0700

I was afraid to do it too, but recalled talking to an older gardener who had worked in greenhouses and remembered "stopping" the tomatoes, by topping them. Our climate can also be humid and air circulation is frequently a problem in our hoop house. I topped about 200 tomato plants last week. As I went through picking today I checked them - no rampant new growth anywhere - maybe 10 plants had put up another top shoot. They don't appear shocked either. My goal is to have them ripen the set fruit as quickly as possible instead of spending energy on creating new. And the alternate goal - more air circulation has happened. Mine were topped at about 6.5 ft. I can't reach a lot higher than that to pick anyway.
Molly
Whidbey Island , Washington