market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Question
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:49:38 -0400

You may be looking at onion maggots. There is no effective chemical control for this pest in garlic. You want to remove damaged plants and dispose of them far away from your property because the odor of infested or rotting plants will attract more maggot flies. Diazinon is registered on onion but not garlic, its still available for farm use but not for gardeners. Maggots have become resistant to diazinon so it doesn't work anyway. One thing you can do is apply Ambush which is synthetic pyrethrum to the base of the plants. Ambush will kill some of the maggots and seems to act as a repellent to the flies.. Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Carl Hatfield wrote:

About a month or 6 weeks ago some of the garlic on the end of one of my beds started dieing.  When I pulled up it was rotted but I couldn't figure out why.  Today I pulled some more & discovered some small brown  worms that I am guessing are the cause of the problem.  Since we no longer have Diazinon Granules has anyone got any suggestions about what to use to get rid of them. So far they don't seem to be bothering the other bed of garlic or the onion beds.THANKSCaqrl  zone 5 or 6  (IDAHO)