market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash Bugs & Strawberry Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash Bugs & Strawberry Question
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:50:26 -0400

STRAWBERRY PLANTS I have a 2 year oldbed of strawberriesthat is stareting to become overgrown with plants. They are a everbearing variety. Some of the berries are still good sized but others are very small. Would it be better to take some of the plants out to make more room or would it be better to replace the entire bed in order to get larger berries.
Thanks

Recent talks with Tim Nourse indicate that small berries is all that you can hope for from older plants. He recommends replacing the plants each SPRING, but keeping planting over lapping (ie I've harvested what I planted last spring in August and Sept of last year and June of this year. I could also harvest them in August and September of this year, but Tim says that they would be very small. I planted more beds this spring and am harvesting them now and expect a larger, big berried harvest in August and September of this year. -Allan