market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Acres per person

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Acres per person
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:36:44 -0600

My concern is how you can make a living on much smaller acreage with or
without a tiller or other powered equipment. That equipment costs money
which presumably must be repaid from the proceeds, so without it you don't
have that payback to make. Perhaps if you can't make a living on some small
acreage then the land is too high priced, or you're trying to sell to the
middleman at prices he dictates, or your cost of living is just too high,
or you're using inefficient methods or growing low value cash crops.
Intensive gardening can produce more on less ground. Cheaper land can be
improved for growing without much capital investment. Direct marketing
brings the highest price. Rainwater storage can cut the cost of irrigation.
Home food production and storage can bring down family food costs. I'm
working in this direction myself. And of course people can swap food for
other needed items that neighbors have too. Point being, the old advice
about getting bigger and selling more isn't thinking outside the box. What
is, is raising profit margins by cutting costs and selling less.

I'd hate to say all this can't be done, but I admit it can't be done by
some people in some places with some methods. There are certainly those who
don't have the knowhow, don't want to move, or put in the labor, or live
more simply, or just shouldn't be trying to farm in the first place. So my
questions apply to those who can and will.

paul tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net