market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Walk-in cooler

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Walk-in cooler
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:28:27 -0400

There was an article early on in "Growing for Market" by someone who built
a walk-in and cooled it with a window air conditioning unit. They added a
coil heater to defrost the coils, run by a timer.

If you're going to cool it with a new or used compressor and condenser made
for a manufactured walk-in, it might be helpful to locate that first and
determine it's capacity- size of cooler it will keep - at what temp - at
what outside air temp. One too big will be inefficient, that is use more
electricity. Cooling compressors reach a peak of efficiency after running
for a few minutes, are energy hogs up to that point. Too large means it
cycles on and off often and runs for a minute or two. Too small and it
runs most of the time and wears out fast.

I've worked with cooler service folks in a retail store. They always knew
where to get decent used stuff and knew what it took for the application.
Getting to know someone in that line is a big plus, I think.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm