market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Asparagus- after harvest care..

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Asparagus- after harvest care..
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:39:07 -0400

Mel,

Yes, one does need to leave the asparagus spears/canes until they are dried.
When we moved, and left an asparagus patch for renters, they mowed the row
when mowing their lawn. It only took about one season of that for the
asparagus to disappear.

Some say that the dried canes should be burned or removed from its patch so
disease does not spread.

Christine Burkholder