market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Berry boxes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "James H. Corey" <1corey AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Berry boxes
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:32:54 -0400

Jenny,

I too buy my berry boxes from Monte Packaging - you can find them online, and
incidentally did the opposite of Wille. I started out using the plastic
clamshells, pints and quarts since I only grow strawberries. Back then I sold
to 3 different grocery stores in the area, and the clamshells just "seemed" to
make a nicer presentation, plus the berries were secure as they had a lid over
them. However, Willie right , the labor time to pack berries into a clamshell
is much more significant than in an open container. Each clamshell becomes
it's own little jigsaw puzzle trying to gently place the berries in the
container so they don't get mushed, yet giving them a full container. What a
pain!

Since then, I have gone to all u-pick - they heck with all that labor! I
started out using my leftover clamshells for the u-pickers, and quickly
discovered that it did not matter that the container had a lid - they were
going to pick the berries 'til they were up so high that there was no way to
make the thing shut. So, I have since gone to paper pulp open containers and
I love them! Plus, they are cheaper, and biodegradable. I think it totally
depends on the look you are going for, and how much time you have to spend
packing. Good luck!

Pam Corey
Rose Hill Plantation