market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] edamame

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] edamame
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 05:49:03 -0400

OK. I accept that calling a "phytate" and "Phyto-toxin" is sloppy language. Howabout calling either of them an 'anti-nutrient'?

Here, from BEYOND VEGETARIANISM www.beyondveg.com is some more information:

Fava beans. The well-known disease "favism" is caused by consumption of fava beans in genetically susceptible individuals. Such individuals carry a polymorphism of a gene (present in some regions where malaria is prevalent) that is thought to protect against malaria but also results in severe deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) [Golenser 1983].

Soybeans. From Liener [1994], soybeans contain some heat-labile protease inhibitors and hemagglutinins. ("Heat-labile" means those susceptible to changes by heat; a hemagglutinin is something that causes red blood cells to clump together.) Soy also contains factors that are relatively heat-stable, though of lesser significance, such as:

* Goitrogens: substances that cause goiters, i.e., an enlargement of the thyroid gland.

* Tannins: complex plant compounds that are often bitter or astringent.

* Phytoestrogens: plant analogues of the hormone estrogen.

* Flatus-producing oligosaccharides: carbohydrates of small molecular weight that cause flatulence (gas).

* Phytates: which bind minerals preventing absorption.

* Saponins.

* Antivitamins.

From Faldet [1992], heat treatment of soybeans destroys or reduces heat-labile antinutritional factors, improves digestibility and availability of sulfur amino acids, and increases fat digestibility by non-ruminants, but excessive cooking will reduce protein availability. (Note: Ruminants are hoofed, cud-chewing animals such as cattle, sheep, goats, deer, and giraffes, having multiple stomach chambers that are specially adapted for digesting tough cellulose raw.) Thus, there is an optimal heat treatment, which was found to be 120 minutes at 140°C (284°F), or 30 minutes at 160°C (320°F).
***
I haven't been able to find any explicit indication that "edamame' varieties are excepted from the above problems, but it has been my understanding that this is the case. Until I do know otherwise, unlike many market farmers, I will continue to seed the more expensive edamame varieties and not use "conventional" soy seed as vegetable soy. (HEY, JOHNNY'S FOLKS: What do you know about this??"

Thanks -Allan