market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] edamame

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] edamame
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:32:57 -0400

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:36:29 EDT, you wrote:

>I think Allan may have meant phytates, or phytic acid regarding the
>compounds
>contained in the hull of beans, seeds, and nuts. "Phytates and soybeans"
>does come up on google. For similar reasoning, we decided not grow fava
>beans
>for a CSA crop, but have decided to grow edamame.

OK, this makes a good deal more sense to me. I've read
about this before, I've read quite a bit about it in fact.

Incidentally, I haven't read any reputable source that
states that eating properly cooked soybeans (which doesn't
include 'multiple changes of water' - which was my original
point) is hazardous to one's health. Also, history tells us
that billions of Asian people have relied heavily on soy for
a protein food (tofu, soymilk, tempeh) for hundreds, if not
thousands, of years.

But I really don't want to get involved in that debate, at
all.

I was just really questioning that 'multiple changes of
water' are necessary to safely eat soybeans as I've cooked
and eaten soybeans for at least 30 years and never used
'multiple' changes of water. I was also somewhat startled
by the 'phyto-toxins' part, that being unknown to me (and
probably erroneous).

Thanks!

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.