market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] value-added products

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] value-added products
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:23:33 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

sora wrote:
>I was wondering if any of you make other products from what you grow, etc to
>sell at market such as breads, jams and such. Do any of you feel that this
>has added to your products and market?

My wife and I tried to sell fresh savory herbs – sage, basil and rosemary,
specifically – in $1 bags by offering a taste of them blended into butter.
Many customers loved the herbed butter but wanted to know if they could buy
it already made instead of buying the herbs and making their own. At first we
were frustrated, but finally we recognized an opportunity. (Doh!)

We found a good deal on butter (storebought, unfortunately, but it's within
the letter and spirit of our market's rules) and started blending the herbs
with it in larger quantities. Over the course of the market season, we sold a
couple of hundred four-ounce tubs at $3 each. That's tripling the value of a
stick of butter (75 cents), a pinch of herbs (less than a quarter's worth)
and a tub (less than a nickel). And it attracted customers who then bought
more common products from us as well.

Errol Castens
Providence Farm
Oxford, Mississippi