market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] other products at market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr - The Chile Man <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] other products at market
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:50:57 -0500

We operate a commercial kitchen - inspected by the Virginia Dept. of Agriculture & Consumer Services (VDACS) and the FDA. This has helped us create a profitable, value-added farm - the Chile Man (http://www.thechileman.com).

You should check out the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Nutrition web site - http://www.cfsan.fda.gov. That will tell you everything you need to know!

Inspection, however, differs by state. You may be inspected by your ag.
dept., or by your local health dept. (usually more restrictive - which is
strange, isn't it??? Seems to me, there should be national standards for an
inspection program).

VDACS does address some things that the FDA does not address, including the requirement
to have a separate space for your "commercial" kitchen, separate utensils,
separate sinks, etc.

BTW, because we make acidified foods - that is, foods to which an acidulant
(vinegar, lime, lemon., etc.) is added to lower the natural pH of a food (the
Chile Man makes sauces and salsas)- we are licensed by the USDA through their
Better Process
Control School program (sponsored by the USDA but taught by professors of
food science at land-grant universities). Cost, including room and board, is
appx. $1,000 for a four day class. If you make acidified foods, the course
is a requirement. Don't start selling these sorts of products without taking
this class, as the products produced will be illegal, and you will face all
sorts of penalties - including severe liability if someone gets sick from
eating your products.

You also will need a good liability insurance policy. Don't sell processed
foods without this - you might lose your farm if someone sues...Cost is appx.
$400/year.

BTW, VA is becoming increasingly restrictive regarding its food policies. For
ex., last month VA become one of 26 states who no longer will allow the sale
of raw milk cheeses without a large investment in equipment (Joel Salatin
figures this at $50,000). State governments across the nation are trying to
deny small farmers the rights to sell to the public, in favor of
supporting policies designed to benefit large corporations. Our food supply,
as you know, is suffering dramatically because of this - and we are
increasingly being fed unadulterated, processed, non-nutritious junk!!!

We all should continue to fight this the best way we know how - by creating
profitable farm businesses.

Onwards!

Jim & Mary Conner wrote:

Hi All,

I don't post a lot, but love the list and all the pointers. Recently my hubby and I have been talking about a commercial kitchen and I was wondering if any of you make other products from what you grow, etc to sell at market such as breads, jams and such. Do any of you feel that this has added to your products and market? I am just trying to see if it would be worth it to go ahead with a kitchen or not. Any pointers would be great...

Thank you all,
Mary C
Northern Indiana