market-farming - [Market-farming] Use of Words (was: Two Questions)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Use of Words (was: Two Questions)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:03:01 -0500

> You might be surprised at how many folks would like it. I was told by
every
> single person involved in my local farmers market that the customers
didn't
> care about organics, or heirlooms ( my two niches), they were partly
right,
> their customers didn't. but the number of folks that did want it but
> weren't
> getting served surprised me. I started growing chemical free before I
> started selling and deided I wasn't going to sell food that I wouldn't
want
> to feed my family, it has been working so far.

Oldtimin, your observations match mine. People who care about getting
delicious and healthy veggies with a lot of variety will naturally graviate
towards the niches we're trying to fill. I can't worry about those who
don't want it, even though the prices are very competative with the
lower-quality veggies they're getting at the supermarket. Even in a fairly
low population area (15,000 people within a 20 mile radius of me), it's
amazing how many of them want locally grown (200 people a week attended out
FM last fall). Organically grown is icing for the most part. Most of the
people I've dealt with care more about locally grown and tasty.

In my marketing flyer, I'm careful to use "special" words to find the
people who will buy my veggies: "Delicous", "Organic Methods", "Natural",
"Sustainable", "Large Variety", "Locally Grown", "In-Season", etc. Use of
language, and then backing it up with awesome veggies, is critical.

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce

http://mail2web.com/ .