market-farming - [Market-farming] Mold in your compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steven Rogers" <singingpigfarm AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mold in your compost
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:01:09 -0800

Yo, Cosmic Lettuce Dude! That is mold in your compost and it is normal and desirable. As your compost pile cycles up in heat and back down again different organisms are responsible for decomposing the organic matter at different temperatures and different stages. My guess is that the mold you are seeing is on the outer layers of the pile where it is cooler. Just remember that a compost pile is a factory staffed by microbes and mold is just part of the staff.
I don't think there is a problem with your spinach. The "dust" you're seeing is probably normal. Healthy spinach plants develop a little crystalline substance on their leaves, especially in the center of the rosette. If they were some kind of egg, they would not brush off easily-instead they would be attached to the leaf. If you are really concerned, take a sample to your county extension office or contact your local Master Gardener chapter. Peace to all in the upcoming year.

Steven Rogers
singingpigfarm AT earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.

  • [Market-farming] Mold in your compost, Steven Rogers, 12/29/2004