market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm trade imbalance/lack of farm security.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul Range" <paul AT hanszen.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm trade imbalance/lack of farm security.
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:02:54 -0600

Leigh,
    It will take some serious crisis before they change their mindset.  Part of it is the fault of the big business farm which is heavily subsidized by the government and both the public and the government perceive them as fat cats.  Part of the fault is with the small farmer who operates inefficiently and the FHA who loaned them to the max.  The rest is our fault for being part of the culture that pays ridiculous prices for a couple of acres of land to put a house on thereby jacking land prices up on surrounding farm land.  It ought to be against the law to build a house on land that will grow anything.
    We are going to build ourselves out of arable land.  That will be one of our downfalls. Paul