market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] food reporting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <JayGee AT jghelp.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] food reporting
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:20:17 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:25:24 -0800 (PST), sora AT coldreams.com wrote:

> > Because of the reporting systems in place at the CDC,
> > food terrorism on any kind of large scale is unlikely.
> >
> > Food related illnesses are reported right away, and
> > food related deaths are reported instantly.
>
> What about the millions of uninsured who stay
> away from any "reporters" or the many cases of
> food poisoning that the public sees as "flu".
> I'm afraid this view is a bit naive.

I think the many uninsured you refer to are likely
to head for local emergency rooms if they are
struck by a very serious food borne illness.

A little nausea or diarrhea is not likely to cause
most of us great distress. An attack of something
more serious can be very disconcerting to
the sick person and friends or relatives.

I had a 36 hour flu a couple of months back, complete
with 102 fever. I first thought it might be food poisoning
but later figured out where and how I picked up the bug
and that eight other folks who were there at the same
time also got it.

I'm not saying the system is perfect, but it works when
people use it for what it is supposed to do.

At least that's my opinion.

Jay Gee