market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seeder
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:48:34 -0600

On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 08:58:51AM -0600, Willie McKemie wrote:

> > Looking at the new Johnny's catalog. For a long while, I have been
> > needing a seeder to plant small seeds in relatively short rows,
> > 10'-100'. I have heard negative reports on Earthways.
>
> Here is an update. I ordered and received a "Stick" planter, a
> Earthway, and a "Glaser". Yesterday, I did my first planting with the
> Earthway and Glaser. The Earthway worked very well. The Glaser came
> with the shaft binding in body so that the wheels got insufficient
> traction in loose sandy soil. I greased it and worked it by hand a
> bit, but it is not yet satisfactory. I suspect that it will "free up"
> with usage. I'm not sure I will have the patience to give it the
> needed usage. One would hope for better design from such a high
> priced simple little thing. The only irritating feature of the
> Earthway is that, for small seed, it needs 500-1000 seeds under the
> seeds that it is willing to plant. That is, it won't pick up small
> seeds from the bottom of the hopper.
>
> I don't have any peas to plant right now and I did not give the Stick a
> try. It does look promising. Though, it looks like it might not stand
> up to heavy usage. I'll try some peas in the next few weeks and
> report back.

I've planted a few rows of green peas with the "Stick" planter; it is
working very well. I'm planting through trash; using the "Stick" goes
much faster than cleaning the tops of the beds and using a "real"
planter. Nothing up yet. I still have doubts about long term
durability.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die