market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Our first regular restaurant order!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cheselka AT theriver.com" <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Our first regular restaurant order!
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:11:36 -0500

> Must ask you about the water in southeast AZ. Irrigation mandatory? That's
> not far from me in west central NM, high desert. We have great water,
> shallow and neutral pH, but no rain most of the year.

Well, I'm no expert on the water situation here (nor do I come CLOSE to
being an expert grower), but my understanding is that we're on top of a
pretty large aquifer. However, increases in population in this area are
making the water table get lower and lower every year. (A recent headline
of our local paper was titled "Benson Is Sinking"). However, some places
around me have artesian wells and some wells are 300+ ft deep before they
hit water -- go figure. The water itself is pretty good, unless you're
next to one of the power plants. One in my area is a superfund site and
the water pretty regularly is high in nitrates. Sorta good for plants --
not good for people.

Irrigation is definitely a requirement in the spring and fall. The summer
monsoons offer a little relief, but I still irrigated regularly this past
summer. Winter rain (like what we're getting today) is pretty nice -- that
in combination with the cold this time of year makes irrigating less
necessary for my winter crops.

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce

http://mail2web.com/ .