market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jicima

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jicima
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:12:10 -0400

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:50:51 -0500, you wrote:

>Regards to the list:
>
>I asked our subscribers for requests for things to grow next year. One
>lady asked for jicima. Is this the correct spelling? Does anyone know
>if it will grow in mid zone 5? Anyone care to comment?

The correct spelling is 'jicama'. Maybe you could grow it,
if you start it indoors and transplant it out after danger
of frost:

-------------------

Jicama does best in a warm climate with moderate rainfall
and is sensitive to frost. When planted from seeds, about
5-9 months of warm weather are required before large roots
are produced. However, mature roots may be produced after
just 3 months if started from whole small roots. Removing
the flowers seems to enhance yields.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_MV082

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful