market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jicima

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jicima
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:05:46 -0400

>Someone who tried growing jicama here once told me that it takes a long
>growing season and will only get half the size it will as ones you see in
>the store.
>
>I've always wanted to try it -- I got as far as starting it in the
>greenhouse -- but never got around to actually transplanting it out.
>
>If you try it, I'd say to start it as a transplant, and put it out as early
>as possible and use IRT mulch and reemay.

Or you could try growing it in a large container that you
could bring inside in the autumn (this is assuming you have
room inside for a large container). Since it's a vine, it
would probably need a trellis or support of some sort.

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful