market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Black-eyed pea storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alan Whitaker" <awhitaker AT greenlynk.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Black-eyed pea storage
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:55:44 -0500

Short of refrigeration, I don't think you have much of a chance to keep peas
for 4 days. Where you are at, they most likely will start to dry. Here in
the SE, they will start to mold in a couple of days. The snaps will be
awfully wilted too.
If you could find a place to have them shelled, that would be ideal. You
could bag and put 'em in a fridge then. Several bushels at that.
I used to have some plans for a sheller with paddles. It's a drum that
rotates one way, and the paddles rotate the other way. It essentially
beats the pea/bean/butter bean out of the shell. If I can't find it, I'll
ask our new extension agent if he can get me a copy of it from Auburn
University. I might get permission to post it also. Let me know if you're
interested. Might be a good winter project for you.

Alan Whitaker
Georgiana, AL