market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Black-eyed pea storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Catherine S" <farmerwantabe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Black-eyed pea storage
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:54:59 -0500

I'm fortunate to have a cool damp basement that I have old window screens laying across concrete blocks that I put my baskets on when I return with overage or getting ready for the next market. Raising up keeps the baskets off the cold damp concrete and allows good air circulation around the baskets, have a small fan on the floor to move the air also. I cover the baskets with towels and everything holds well except okra, which I found if I wrap it up in paper bags it does better, think the paper holds down on the humid in the sack. If I have any doubt on how to store the veges I will put them in large paper bags and roll the tops down good, never store anything in plastic. It is a hassle sometimes to transfer things in paper bags but I've found worth it in the long run. This is my second year to market farm and have learned alot from the great and wise ones! Good luck, we have a flegling market here also, hang in there once the word gets out, they will come. Catherine

Visit our website: www.conklin.com/site/thesimmonscompany Products that you can trust.

>From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com> >Reply-To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org> >To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org> >Subject: [Market-farming] Black-eyed pea storage >Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:40:05 -0500 > >Oh great and wise Market Farming Group. I come to you with a storage >problem. The new Farmer's Market that we created is in it's infancy. Often >growers, me included, find they have produce left over at the end of the >market, we have it on Tuesdays and Saturdays. The biggest problem I have is >storing the black-eyed peas until next market. What's the best way to store >them for 3 or 4 days and keep them fresh enough to sell? Someone mentioned >spreading them out on the floor in a cool place. I could buy a sheller, but >what about the snaps? > >Thanks for the help. > >(West Texas) Mark > > >_______________________________________________ >Market-farming mailing list >Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org >http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/market-farming > >Get the list FAQ at: http://www.marketfarming.net/mflistfaq.htm

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide!