market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic curing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic curing
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:51:23 -0400

keep the tops and roots on until cured than cut off with anvil pruners (scissors will give you blisters).

I hang mine to dry in several ways simplest is to tie 10 garlics together with bailing twine and hang with the heads up (how they want to hang naturally) and hang each bundle from a nail or rafters. i also have put them on hammocks made out of fencing and/or chicken wire (these hammocks are mostly used to dry onions) and finally we get two pieces of bamboo or two metal rods lay one on the ground, place garlic heads up than put the other bar on and tie the two bars together than hang the whole thing from the rafters. on a 10' span you can usually get around 150 garlics hung.

cure until the greens are all brown and crispy, about 4 to 6 weeks. oh, be sure to knock as much mud/dirt off the roots before curing. Dirt can lead to rot.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH
http://www.boulderbelt.com