market-farming - [Market-farming] Finding "Sand" for Sand Filters

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Finding "Sand" for Sand Filters
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:23:24 -0400

OK, I had to break down and buy a sand filter for our drip system. I picked it up from RAIN-FLO.

Since sand costs about twice as much when shipped to my zone, I opted for picking up sand locally.

Boy, am I in for a surprise!!

What I'm looking for is #16 silica as 'filtration media." This is NOT what they sell at pool stores. It is NOT sold at the sand and gravel dealer in this area. It is definitely something koi farmers use (they use sand filters often, but not something I can find in pet shops around here.)

Has anyone had any luck finding suitable sand/media for irrigation sand filters? I'd appreciate your suggestions.

It's interesting that in Europe it seems they use AFM (advanced filtration media), which is made of recycled glass and (apparently) works better than the silica products. I cant find a US source of AFM.

Thanks -Allan