market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Yellow Nut Sedge

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Yellow Nut Sedge
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:45:17 -0700

I'm not sure if the Nut Sedge you have back east is the same one we have here in California. The foliage is grasslike, thick, and when it blooms it has tufty heads of yellow blossoms?

I've been told the native Miwok and Pomo tribes here used it as a food source. It is a pernicious weed, for sure.

We have had success keeping it back with flaming, as we do with himalayan blackberries and burdock. You have to keep after it with rhizome-spreading plants, but flaming does seem to be effective.

Roger