market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] red mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mimi & Rob" <mimi AT my180.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] red mulch
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:52:15 -0700

Bill,

I grow the tomatoes for our own consumption and to give to family and
friends, so I'm not terribly scientific about it. I like variety... we
raise laying hens and we have a very mixed flock! I generally have 12-15
varieties every year, one of each and at most two of a few. I have
increased my roma type plantings to thicken up the salsa ans spaghetti sauce
I can every year. This year so far I have Early Girl, Goliath, Pear Cherry,
Orange Cherry (can't remember the name), Celebrity and Roma. Last year I
had a Russian Roma that did really well. I plan on hitting the farmer's
Market this week for the rest of my "variety" garden. I know I will avoid
the black tomatoes, they split too easy in my garden. I haven't planted out
yet, we had hail last week, better safe than sorry here!
I also am using biodynamic preps on our property this year, so it'll be
interesting to see how that affects everything.