market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Speaking of sweeter...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Speaking of sweeter...
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 15:30:14 -0400

On Sun, 2 May 2004 12:07:17 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>> Does anyone know if Ephsom salt really makes
>> melons sweeter?
>
>I dont know about that but... I put a dilution of
>> epson salts in water and spray my peppers with
>it and they are really beautiful!!!

It makes sense that both could happen. Epsom salts are
magnesium sulfate, and I believe that magnesium is one of
the substances needed by plants.

I'm experimenting this year with a fertilization method used
by proponents of the Mittlieder Method of gardening, and
Epsom salts are one of the substances used in the
fertilizer. (The rest of their methods involve raised beds,
intensive planting - things many of us already do for the
most part.)

For those interested:

http://www.foodforeveryone.org

I read a couple of Jacob Mittleider's books (inter-library
loan) and I'm impressed enough to give the fertilizer a try.

I don't know yet if it will produce the excellent results
claimed, since this season will be my test season. I will
probably run side-by-side tests: for instance, green beans
treated to Mittleider fertilizer vs. green beans organically
fertilized, planted in adjacent planters, otherwise treated
the same, etc.

It's non-organic, but if non-organic fertilization will get
me superb results at the cost of some Epsom salts, a little
Borax, $12 worth of 10-10-10, and the micronutrients sold by
the Mittleider people: well, fine - that's very acceptable
to me. I won't quarrel with superb results. I can still
grow organically insofar as not using chemical pesticides,
etc.

Pat