market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Question for Potato Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Question for Potato Farmers
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 09:17:16 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/2004 6:08:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time, brian AT dixiefarmsusa.com writes:
potatoes, sweet and White.  What are some
varieties that are ealsiy to grow?
Brian, your name suggests that you are in the South?  Where?
We are in northeast Texas, 10 mi north of I-20 and grow mostly red "new" potatoes, either red LaSota or red Pontiac and the seed potatoes are avail in 50# burlap sacks at the feed stores.  We ask them to order extra sacks for us in January.  We plant potatoes as soon in March as possible, thinking that St Pat's is our deadline.  Some people around here like to plant potatoes and onions in January, but never get quite the crop that we do and sometimes lose potatoes entirely.

We do grow some fingerlings, yukon golds, etc, but never get a really good yield; those are just for "fancy".

In all, it's probably much too late to plant this year unless you can find some sprouted potatoes in your bin and want to experiment.  For next year, reds for your main crop and experiment with fingerlings.  You have to order in Dec or Jan.  If you order from Roningers, they will ship in the fall when they harvest and you can keep the potatoes in a cooler over the winter.  Most potato growers cannot ship early enough for planting in the South.  Roningers has a good website.  Moose tubers web is closed for the season already.
Good luck
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm